I wrote earlier about my trials finding an appropriate swimsuit. It has become increasingly obvious I’m in the minority when it comes to appropriate beachwear. Some of the disasters we saw on Ka’anapali Beach made our eyes bleed. For those of you anticipating a visit to a beach destination somewhere, here are 10 easy rules we came up with on our last trip. I apologize in advance for the gruesome visuals, but since we HAD to see them, it’s only fair to give you a sample of the experience.
- A string bikini top is not meant to tie around your waist. If that is where your breasts are, you shouldn’t be wearing a two piece suit of any species.
- Speedos. Just Say No, gentlemen. People have a hard time taking you seriously when you’re wearing a banana-hammock. Not to mention keeping a straight face…
- If your bikini bottom needs extender-strings, then perhaps it’s a bit too small, or you shouldn’t be wearing it at all. Just sayin’….
- Anything you stuff into your suit or pocket of your trunks may come dislodged while you’re in the water, and then you’ll have to dive to them to the intense amusement of everyone around you.
- White suits and surfshirts leave little to the imagination when wet and looks like you’re wearing milky Saran Wrap.
- Get to know your razor. Please. They have them at the front desk if you forgot it.
- If you’re tanning and have your bikini top untied, please remember that fact before you sit up or roll over. There are children all around, and the looks you’re getting may not be as complimentary as you think.
- Wearing a wet swimsuit doesn’t mean you will catch a cold. Changing suits under a towel in public is rarely done well, and usually shows more than you think. However, it’s great entertainment for those of us watching you try to do it.
- If your teenage daughter is wearing a bikini, that doesn’t mean you can. In fact, it usually means that you shouldn’t. Really shouldn’t…
- Guys – your suit is loose at the waist, please don’t dive into the pool before you check the strings. Although watching you try to disentangle it from your ankles while under water is amusing, you could drown. Don’t count on anyone jumping in to help you. We’re all laughing way too hard…
So, here’s to all the people who gave us a laugh with their Good, Bad and Ugly swimsuit choices. Cheers and thanks for the chuckles – especially if that wasn’t your intention!